We’ve all been there, walking into the beauty aisle at Boots or a makeup store and getting that overwhelmed feeling that no matter what we choose for ourselves, it’s just not going to be right. You scour the blogs, search desperately for that Instagram post with that holy grail product you can’t quite remember and then look over your shoulder at the sales team hoping desperately that they may have a clue, because let’s face it, you haven’t got a scoobies.
So go ahead and thank me later, I’m here to give some basic tips that’s going to up your beauty skills to the next level. The next Nikki Tutorials? Yes, yes you are after this post (she’s a makeup blogger for those that think I’m speaking gibberish). Here’s your go-to list of the best beauty basics for beginners.
1. Skincare. I can’t shout this from the rooftops any more than anyone that knows me knows that I do. Skincare is a TOP priority, once you get your skincare down to a T, you’ll be a glowing goddess in no time. A cleanser, toner, serum and moisturiser best suited for your skin type will be your best starting point. Don’t give me the whole I don’t have time malarky, I do that myself about going to the gym. I’m lying. I could easily make time if I really wanted to and its the same with Skincare, it literally takes 5 minutes, there’s no excuse. Have no idea where to start? A good app that I rave about is the Skin Rocks app, where you are able to pop your skin concerns, budget etc and it works out the most compatible products for you. It’s free too, which is always a bonus right? If you have a few more pennies to spend, I’d recommend seeing a skincare specialist who will be able to tailor a skincare package best suited for your needs. I use Environ Skincare, which was tailored to be by Hayley Newman Skincare and Specialist and have had amazing results. A full video of my skincare regime can be found here, although be aware I have built up to the amount of lotions and potions I now use.
2. Next, SPF! Did you know that even the sun that shines in through your windows can contribute to damaging your skin? So be sure that you’re applying SPF daily, whether you’re going outside or not, whether it’s sunny or cloudy, just SPF it to be safe. I personally struggle with a liquid SPF as find a powder one best suits my skin type, again, shop around for the most compatible one you and YOUR skin.
3. For beginners, I love a CC cream or a tinted moisturiser. You get the benefit of evening out your skin with a moisturising effect. My ultimate go to is the Charlotte Tilbury Unisex Glow, for those days I just want a bit of something something but haven’t got time for a full face, this just gives me a uplifting glow.
4. Invest in a good colour corrector, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Vanish, it is honestly such a staple in my makeup bag. Been up all night and got bags the colour of Wednesday Addams, no problem, this colour corrector takes it away with a few taps. If you haven’t already, try it, you won’t regret it!
5. Step away from the concealer, not completely but I promise contrary to popular belief a little goes a long way. Packing on the concealer will just create more skin texture and highlight those areas, rather than hiding them.
6. Bronzer is your best friend. It is the best multitasking product EVER and needs to be a staple in your makeup bag! Aside from using bronzer as, well, bronzer, you can also use it as your eyeshadow and even a lip color. We live in a dreary country, give yourself a nice bit of colour all year round!
And that’s it my lovelies, I hope some of these tips have helped you on your road to nailing your beauty regimes. Check out my Instagram page for some more tips and tricks along the way.